Skip to main content

Luxury Talks - Exclusive Interview with Ms.Own It Intimate Wear - Letlhogonolo Letsholonyane

(Founder and Director of Own It Intimate Wear)

Letlhogonolo Letsolonyane is a South African entrepreneur and "start-up" queen who launched her luxury intimate wear brand called Own It Intimate Wear in 2016.

She has a strong background in retail and studied at the prestigious London International School of Fashion. Her passion and technical background shines through the impeccable craftsmanship of her intimate wear range and the luxurious materials she chooses for her line.

The Own It Intimate Wear range has been positively received by celebrities, bloggers and social media enthusiasts as the brand has managed to use social media marketing effectively.

(image by Andrew Berry; Own It Intimate Wear Instagram)


The brand is available online and at the GEN-XYZ flagship store in Parkhurst, Johannesburg.

Below is my exclusive interview with the woman behind the brand. I have bought a few items from the range and intend on buying more as the quality is amazing and the material looks and feels great on my skin.

How did the name of your brand come about?
I decided to name the brand Own It Intimate wear because I was becoming self-aware, I was at the point in my life where I wanted to own my body, my health and my future regardless of my circumstances.

What is Own It Intimate Wear about?
The brand is about self-love, fearlessness and confidence. As women, we often get criticized about our bodies and a lot of other things. This brand stands up for the women who are self-aware, liberal and confident in their skin.

What inspired the leap into entrepreneurship?
I was stuck at my 9-5 and I could see that I'm only going to get where I want in 5-10 years so I took it upon myself to take charge and be directly responsible for my own success. I wanted economic freedom.

How would you describe the landscape of your industry?
The clothing and textile industry in SA is tough; manufacturing clothes here is even tougher. To actually be progressive you have to price competitively in relation to international brands and be aggressive in your marketing to try stay afloat. A lot of businesses are closing down but you have to fight and understand your customer and feed their needs and wants and gain their confidence

(Own It Intimate Wear Founder and Director - Letlhogonolo Letsholonyane)


Where would you position Own It Intimate Wear in that landscape? 
This company is a start-up; it is not where I wish it could be because of many struggles like funding and infrastructure. It's coming up though, I see my garments as affordable luxury items perfect for the South African woman, the quality is exceptional and a great price!

 What are your thoughts on African Luxury Brands? 
Luxury brands definitely have their market, most of them stay afloat because of how the world perceives them, they are powerful, their market always has money and is willing to buy if the garments or products are good. To add on, they'll always have those who aspire to be part of the brand so even the not-so frequent buyers will do what they can to always make sure that they can afford them.

Would you consider Own It Intimate Wear a luxury brand?
Not yet, affordable luxury yes! Because of the amazing quality and fit.

How do you feel about the saturation of low cost imports in your industry?
I think SA consumers should get into the culture of supporting locally made goods, yes low cost imports are cheaper and we as a country are going through hard times economically which is a challenge. All these situations put consumers in positions that lead them to cheaper alternatives...it is killing local business.

How do you remain competitive with all the low cost imports in your industry?
To be honest, I try my best to compete directly in price especially with brands like Top Shop and H&M. It isn't ideal but I understand that the market is going through hard times. I am however looking into increasing prices a bit as I'm using more quality and luxury fabric and I'm investing more into my business.

(image provided by Own It Intimate Wear)

How has social media and technology impacted the way that you do business?
The fact that social media is integrated is amazing. Social media advertising will always be my go-to; it works well for my brand. Obviously when I grow I will invest in other ways of advertising but this has been a very beneficial and very rewarding (in Rands) way to advertise.

What brand-building activities have you engaged in for the brand?
I've engaged with bloggers, photographers and customers in order to collaborate with regards to having shoots together. We are planning to have activities and events at the GEN.XYZ shop to interact with customers and collaborate with other brands; it's going to be epic! In the past we've run competitions online and popped up at other shops.

What would you like to see more of when it comes to African Luxury Brands?
I’D LIKE TO SEE MORE PROUDLY SA LUXURY BRANDS

(image provided by Own It Intimate Wear)


Do you believe in the power of collaboration and have you ever collaborated with other brands?
YES! Two heads are always better than one and yes I've collaborated with Gen.XYZ

Where do you see the brand in the next 5 years?
I see my brand with 2/3 flagship stores around the country and I see myself having stock-lists internationally.

You have also launched a start-up academy; what is it about?
This Academy is about assisting people in starting up their businesses from design phase, to business registrations, manufacturing and retail.

How does one register to become a part of the academy?
To become part of the Academy, you need to send through a business concept that we'll assess and from there we will send you a questionnaire to fill out to see whether we can assist you.

Where does the passion for helping other entrepreneurs come from?
I love sharing knowledge, I love learning, I love helping others. If I can minimize the struggles and frustrations of people who don't know how to go about starting a business then I would have done enough for that one person. I wish I had that someone to guide me, push me, put me at ease and save me time, money and frustration.

Do you believe that you are a serial brand builder or a serial business developer? And why?

I think so, I can easily adapt to the environments around me. I'm an implementer, I'm not good at talking or sitting all day and plotting. I'm really good at waking up and actively putting things into action, finding new ways to solving problems and working with what I have. I build things from nothing that's my super power.

More Images From The Own It Intimate Wear Range:





Visit : www.ownitintimatewear.com for information on their range and The Start-Up Academy.
Instagram: @ownitintimatewear



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luxury Travels with Guest Blogger Koketso Chipane - "My Euro '17 Rendezvous"

King Gina’s Luxury Travel Journals are about highlighting how young Africans travel the continent and the world. We caught up with Koketso Chipane after her Euro ’17 Rendezvous and asked her to document her trip for our readers… Luxury Living all the way. Enjoy Europe through her eyes. Name: Koketso Chipane Age: 28 City: Pretoria Occupation: Associate Market Risk Analyst at The South African Reserve Bank Business Interests: Beauty/fashion, design and Art Favourite Luxury Brand: Chanel and Celine. L uxury Leisure Activities: I enjoy attending fashion shows, champagne festivals and I love fine dining. I'm always discovering new restaurants to try out and enjoy exclusive, intimate spaces. Being a jazz and art lover, I visit art galleries and attend art events religiously, as well as enjoy jazz events and clubs such as The Orbit, home of Jazz in Braamfontein. What does African Luxury mean to you

The African Luxury Master Class: Exclusive Interview With African Luxury Menswear Designer Sheria Ngowi

(image provided by Sheria Ngowi) Africa’s fashion industry is one of the fastest growing industries. The world has found a way of appropriating African designs and textiles in its runways so it was only about time that more African luxury fashion brands would start cropping up to offer Africans and the world an authentic interpretation of the continent's style. In my past life I used to be a high-end image consultant (predominately for the men’s market), this is where I got to learn about the extremely talented designer Sheria Ngowi. Sheria Ngowi is a Tanzanian luxury menswear designer who has taken Africa by storm. So when I got the opportunity to approach him on Instagram, I took it. Talk about the power of social media. To my delight, Sheria was so warm, appreciative and keen on doing this interview. This interview turned into a master class that had me thinking of when I completed my Honours in Brand Leadership. Sheria has dressed heads of states, celebrities and Africa’

Luxury Champagne Campaign: The Stories Behind My Favourite Champagne Brands

Lily Bollinger was once asked " When do you drink champagne?",  and she replied:  “I only drink champagne when I'm happy, and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company, I consider it obligatory.  I trifle with it if I am not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty.” In the words of Madame Bollinger, champagne does not need an occasion and I believe it to be true. Once you fall in love with it, you will not be a fan of anything else…unless you are me; I love a good glass of Pinot Noir too. The aspect that makes luxury brands stand out are the stories behind the brands. Story-telling is a major component of brand building when it comes to luxury brands; it is no longer about convincing a consumer to make the purchase but to rather be a part of the story. The stories behind brands such as Dom PĂ©rignon and my personal favourite, Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin are ones that warm my heart.