Skip to main content

Luxury Goes Digital - Exclusive Interview With Digital Marketing Maverick Owethu Makhathini




KG: 
As a young black woman in digital marketing, would you say that gender bias in Digital Marketing is real? What have been some of your observations in this regard?

OM: 
There is a global gender bias. It is not limited to the industry I have chosen to operate in unfortunately. Capitalism and patriarchy are benevolent bedfellows. Women have historically been unable to participate in the formal economy and now that we are, we are paid significantly less for the same amount of work. Recent statistics show that black African women bear the biggest brunt of this gender bias. Regardless of industry.

KG: 
Tell us about your Creative Consultancy Makhathini Media, and how it aims to close the gap with regards to the lack of digital literacy in South Africa?

OM: 
We are closing the digital literacy gap by offering Digital Marketing workshops for government agencies, parastatals, NGOs, corporate companies of all sizes and individuals.
Makhathini Media aims to create solutions through technology, content and up skilling of vulnerable girl children. My goal through Makhathini Media is to teach young black girls coding, programming and digital media skills.

KG: 
The journey of an entrepreneur is not always an easy one. What are some of the lessons you have learned along the way and how have they shaped your outlook on life?

OM:
Entrepreneurship is a lonely journey. No one sees your vision the way that you do so you are ultimately responsible for auctioning it as best you see fit. I have learned patience and the importance of going inward to find solutions. This can be through prayer, meditation or a cathartic chat with girlfriends. I have relied on myself more than I ever had to and it is both empowering and terrifying. Becoming an entrepreneur has made me smarter, more agile and way more empathetic than I previously was. I have had to accept my shortcomings, commit to working through them while also never forgetting my natural strengths. Remembering to always hone my talents and not take them for granted just because they come naturally.

KG: 
How has Digital Marketing changed the way in which brands and businesses utilize technology for marketing?

OM: 
Brands can tell richer stories about themselves and their audiences through the various mediums Digital Marketing provides. It has made brands human and accessible. DM has made it easier for brands to be more agile and responsive too. It has given way to useful data and insights, creativity and of course contributed significantly to job creation.

KG: 
Digital media has grown immensely by helping brands engage consumers about their products/services in a personalized way. What are some of your favourite Digital Mediums?

OM: 
I love a well curated newsletter. I love long form articles. I also really enjoy aesthetically consistent images.


KG: 
What advice would you give people when it comes to the professional use of social media?

OM: 
I would say establishing a consistent voice is very important. People need to know what you are about in case they would like to collaborate with you or speak to you about your personal brand and/or business offering. People connect with authenticity so knowing yourself and curating a theme for your online presence is very important. Secondly, I would say do not be afraid to reach out to people you admire in your industry, most folks are willing to answer a DM or chat. Lastly, people should know what you are selling through your use of social media. Small things like having a working link in your bio and posting regularly from your digital properties is key.

KG: 
Through digital communications, a multi-communication channel where information can be exchanged around the world is created. How can African luxury brands use digital marketing effectively?

OM: 
Without you booking a consultation with Makhathini Media, I can say this; look to what other luxury brands are doing globally and adapt their strategy with your offering. No need to reinvent the wheel. Know your industry, know your market, and know your audience.

KG: 
Connecting to the digital world ensures that we remain informed, however there is a lack of basic computer literacy skills in South Africa. How can we fix this?

OM: 
Access is a huge barrier. Data costs, high costs of luxuries like smartphones and very low minimum wage figures prevent many people from thinking about how to effectively use luxuries such as the Internet. Also, there is a huge lack of basic computer literacy skills among learners and job seekers between the ages of 18-35.
Secondly, young people are not equipped with basic digital skills that can help them navigate information online. Many young South Africans do not know how to look for information online or how to use it to their own benefit. This is a failing on our education system; subjects like Life Orientation should put a bigger effort in equipping young people with relevant, up to date skills on how to thrive in the real world. Thirdly, a huge attitude shift must be prioritized.

KG: 
How can digital marketing have a positive impact on society?

OM
There is a huge pool of potential that is not being tapped into because older generations do not value the power of the internet. People are uninformed about the benefits on DM. Digital marketing can be used to leapfrog our economy monumentally especially through ICT, infotainment, e-learning and e-commerce platforms. Both the government and average citizens should be prioritizing an understanding of the digital landscape for the good of our nation.

KG: 
What do you believe is the secret to success? How can one ensure that they achieve their goals in spite of complications and set-backs?

OM: 
Complications and set backs are just a part of life, it’s the Universe's way of helping you see your blind spots while building your resolve and resilience. It isn’t easy, nothing really is but it’s worth it.  
I do not believe there is a secret to success. I think that defining success for yourself and hard work get you far. I think the key is competing against yourself, constantly working to be a better version of yourself so that you can bring that energy into every space you enter. I think being successful is being yourself and finally liking it. To paraphrase Master P ‘the glory is in you’.

Contact Details:
Owethu Makhathini
@owethumack
owethumack@gmail.com

Makhathini Media
@makhathinimedia
makhathinimedia@gmail.com

*images provided by Owethu and sourced on Twitter
*Interview conducted by Noemi Muya, King Gina Contributor




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Luxury Travels with Guest Blogger Koketso Chipane - "My Euro '17 Rendezvous"

King Gina’s Luxury Travel Journals are about highlighting how young Africans travel the continent and the world. We caught up with Koketso Chipane after her Euro ’17 Rendezvous and asked her to document her trip for our readers… Luxury Living all the way. Enjoy Europe through her eyes. Name: Koketso Chipane Age: 28 City: Pretoria Occupation: Associate Market Risk Analyst at The South African Reserve Bank Business Interests: Beauty/fashion, design and Art Favourite Luxury Brand: Chanel and Celine. L uxury Leisure Activities: I enjoy attending fashion shows, champagne festivals and I love fine dining. I'm always discovering new restaurants to try out and enjoy exclusive, intimate spaces. Being a jazz and art lover, I visit art galleries and attend art events religiously, as well as enjoy jazz events and clubs such as The Orbit, home of Jazz in Braamfontein. What does African Luxury mean to you

The African Luxury Master Class: Exclusive Interview With African Luxury Menswear Designer Sheria Ngowi

(image provided by Sheria Ngowi) Africa’s fashion industry is one of the fastest growing industries. The world has found a way of appropriating African designs and textiles in its runways so it was only about time that more African luxury fashion brands would start cropping up to offer Africans and the world an authentic interpretation of the continent's style. In my past life I used to be a high-end image consultant (predominately for the men’s market), this is where I got to learn about the extremely talented designer Sheria Ngowi. Sheria Ngowi is a Tanzanian luxury menswear designer who has taken Africa by storm. So when I got the opportunity to approach him on Instagram, I took it. Talk about the power of social media. To my delight, Sheria was so warm, appreciative and keen on doing this interview. This interview turned into a master class that had me thinking of when I completed my Honours in Brand Leadership. Sheria has dressed heads of states, celebrities and Africa’

Luxury Champagne Campaign: The Stories Behind My Favourite Champagne Brands

Lily Bollinger was once asked " When do you drink champagne?",  and she replied:  “I only drink champagne when I'm happy, and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company, I consider it obligatory.  I trifle with it if I am not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty.” In the words of Madame Bollinger, champagne does not need an occasion and I believe it to be true. Once you fall in love with it, you will not be a fan of anything else…unless you are me; I love a good glass of Pinot Noir too. The aspect that makes luxury brands stand out are the stories behind the brands. Story-telling is a major component of brand building when it comes to luxury brands; it is no longer about convincing a consumer to make the purchase but to rather be a part of the story. The stories behind brands such as Dom PĂ©rignon and my personal favourite, Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin are ones that warm my heart.